Root canal treatments are performed to remove the infected pulp of a tooth. The pulp is located on the central portion of a tooth that is consist of living tissues and cells. Once infected and left unattended, the infection can spread further and cause other dental complications.
The dental pulp is not merely a tissue; it also has its functions such as:
- It helps the surrounding mineralized tissues by keeping its organic components and by supplying it with nutrients and moisture.
- Works by detecting and protecting the pulp or dentin from traumas, pressure, and exposure to extreme temperatures that are perceived as pain.
- Pulp forms the reparative or tertiary dentin for the protection of the underlying pulp that can ensure the longevity of the teeth.
- In charge of forming the dentin under the tooth’s enamel that protects the dental pulp tissues.
At Manchester Smiles, we are always committed to providing treatments and procedures not only for the dental health of our patients but for their overall wellness as well. We provide Root Canal Treatments to help save an infected tooth from further damage and extraction. Preserving the teeth is even better than opting for extraction which would also need a restoration treatment.
Why is Root Canal Treatment Necessary?
If decay or other factors damage the tooth’s pulp, it can start to degradation and eventually lead to infection. Once this occurs, it can release gases and other chemicals that can pass through the tooth and into the surrounding tissues. It can cause pain and damage to the bone structures, and often it can even spread further and put the overall health at risk. Root canal treatment is performed by removing the infected pulp and other diseased tissues inside the teeth to prevent the infection from spreading further. After cleaning and sealing the pulp chamber, the body’s natural defense mechanism can help in healing the area and save the tooth from extraction.
Facts about Root Canal Treatment
- If the pain suddenly disappears do not be fooled, it does not mean that the infection stopped spreading. Self-medication does not work in preventing or curing the infections; it only helps in temporarily alleviating any pain or discomfort. The sudden disappearance of pain may mean that the pulp begins to die. As the infection travels further to the roots, it may be associated with facial swelling and pus.
- The root canal procedure itself is not painful; spreading of infection causes the pain and discomfort. But to make sure that the patient will have a pleasant treatment, local anesthetics or sedation can be provided.
- The procedure has a high success in saving the teeth; it eliminates the need for extraction which is not recommended. Missing a tooth needs a restoration, missed treatment can compromise the overall bone and facial structure of the patient.
- Dental crowns can be used to restore the function of the treated teeth fully. It also guarantees that the teeth are fully protected from other types of damage.
Saving each tooth is essential for the overall health and well being of a patient. Thanks to the services being offered by dentistry, there are now options for saving the teeth than opting directly for extractions.
For more information about Root Canal Treatments in Manchester or other dental treatments, be sure to contact Manchester Smiles today! Our entire team looks forward to meeting you in person and helping you achieve the best possible dental health results. Call us to get started with your new smile!